Monday, June 11, 2012

Scripting Live at Edu Account creation

The thing about automated account creation is that I have never thought it would save that much time. Creating a dozen or so accounts a day is not very time consuming. When i created a script that would automate it for me, I realized I would never want to go back. When my school wanted to move to Live @ Edu, I did not want to manually create them. I explored the possibility of using Identity LifeCycle Manager, but wound up just including the email account creation inside my AD account creation script.

Creating an account on Live@Edu requires three things.
1.) Password
2.) Windowsliveid (also the email)
3.) Name (also called the displayname)

So i define these variables and a few more in the main script, and call upon a second script to do the actual work. My second script:


As you can see, I define
$Display (which is lastname, firstname),
$liveid,
$password (which must be converted to securestring)
$firstname
$lastname

Connecting and disconnecting after each user will add quite a bit of time that your script needs to run, but it works great. Also keep in mind that you must put your administrative windows live id and password in plain text in the script, so it would be a good idea to keep it locked down.

No comments:

Post a Comment